About Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance
August 15, 2014

Most homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover flood insurance. That seems pretty crazy especially here in Washington and Oregon. Additional flood insurance is sometimes required to be purchased by your mortgage company, depending on what “zone” you live in.

If a flood hits your home, and you are without flood insurance, the damage can easily cost you thousands of dollars. If you’re home isn’t classified “at risk” for a flood, you’re not out of the clear, floods can happen just about anywhere. Flash floods, high levels of snow melt and storms can come out of no where, and it’s best to be prepared.

The definition of a flood from the Federal Emergency Management Agency is “A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is the policyholder’s property) from: Overflow of inland or tidal waters, unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source, mudflow, collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above.”

If you have questions about flood insurance, or if you’d like a fast free quote, call a Vern Fonk Insurance office today!