Fall – Time for Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance
September 15, 2014

As Fall is quickly approaching, it may be time to consider purchasing flood insurance or reviewing your existing policy. Most homeowner insurance policies do not cover flood damage, and a separate policy needs to be purchased. Even if you don’t live near a body of water or river, a flood can happen when you least expect it.

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) is responsible for administering flood insurance policies. They can be purchased through insurance agencies like Vern Fonk. Most homeowner’s insurance policies only cover water damage due to a burst pipe, and flood water damage isn’t covered. It is important to speak with a qualified insurance agent to see if you should purchase an additional flood insurance rider.

FEMA describes a flood as “A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is the policyholder’s property) from:

Overflow of inland or tidal waters, unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source, mudflow, collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above”.

Call one of our flood insurance agents in Washington or Oregon today to get more information about flood insurance in your area.