Get a Quick Quote
Idaho Car Insurance
Did you know that Idaho is the country’s 14th largest state? Or that it is home to Hell’s Canyon, the deepest river gorge in America? How about that it is the first state in the country to allow for digital proof of car insurance?
Idaho has lots to explore, but before you get out on the road, be sure to know the auto insurance requirements that are necessary to protect yourself in the event of an accident.
Idaho Auto Insurance Requirements
Liability insurance is a requirement for any driver in the state of Idaho. It is the part of your Idaho auto insurance policy that helps pay for another driver’s expenses that result from an accident you caused. Liability insurance is broken down into property damage and bodily injury coverage. The minimum limits for Idaho insurance are $25,000 for bodily injury per person, $50,000 for total bodily injury per accident and $15,000 for property damage. These limits mean it is the most your insurance company will pay out in the event of a covered claim.
Optional Coverage Options for Auto Insurance
Idaho insurance policies must include liability insurance to cover losses that you may inflict on other drivers, but what about insurance to protect yourself, your vehicle and your family?
There are a number of optional ID car insurance coverages that you can consider, they can include:
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage, which is included in every Idaho insurance policy, but can be declined in writing. While it is “optional” it might be worth keeping as it protects you if another driver causes an accident, but does not have liability insurance or coverage limits high enough to pay for your injuries.
- Comprehensive coverage will protect you if your vehicle is damaged in some way other than a collision such as a tree falling on it or if it is vandalized.
- Collision coverage is the insurance that will help pay for damages to your vehicle after an accident.
- Medical payments coverage will help pay for medical expenses if you are involved in accident regardless of who is at fault.
Penalties for Driving Without Car Insurance
ID drivers are required to sign a statement when they register their vehicle that certifies that the vehicle will be insured. Anyone who is caught driving without the required insurance coverage can receive various fines and penalties based on the type of offense:
- First offense of driving without insurance can result in fines upwards of $75. Drivers may also have their licenses suspended until they can prove they have proper insurance coverage. They may also be required to file an SR-22 certificate for one year. An SR-22 is also known as a “Certificate of Financial Responsibility” and it guarantees that the offender will hold the required minimum insurance coverage.
- Second or subsequent offenses of driving without insurance can be considered a criminal offense. Fines can increase to up to $1,000 and offenders can even face up to six months of jail time. An SR-22 can be required for three years.
How to Determine Which Idaho Car Insurance Policy is the Right Fit
When you begin to get quotes for auto policies is your main priority the coverage limits or cheap car insurance? Idaho minimum liability limits may be all you need to get your car on the road; however they may not fully protect you and your assets in the event of an accident.
In addition to the costs based on coverage options, Idaho rates insurance premiums based on a number of factors such as age, gender, marital status, zip code, vehicle type and prior driving record. Keep all of these factors in mind as you obtain insurance quotes and be on the lookout for potential discounts for which you may be eligible.
Get a Free Idaho Auto Insurance Quote
Request a free Idaho car insurance quote today and find out how much you can save with Vern Fonk. When you insure with Vern Fonk, you can rest assured your auto insurance coverage will be there when you need it. Only Vern Fonk can get you cheap car insurance in Idaho with the coverage you need. You can request an Idaho car insurance quote online or over the phone at (800) 455-8276.